BYP100 Communications Fellowship
Duration: 6 months
BYP100 is a leading organization in today’s movement for Black liberation. Our national membership of Black 18-35 year old activists engage in high impact direct action, issue-based campaigns and symbolic campaigns, and civic engagement grassroots organizing work.
In 2016, we began building a more robust communications infrastructure and deeply investing in our plans for digital engagement. Our chapters have been trained in the basics of strategic communications and digital strategy and have been putting their new knowledge to work while building out brilliant campaigns and engaging in direct action. This year, we’ve come to realize that we need more support to assist the comms capacity nationally. We are on the search for a clever innovator, strategic thinker, and creative writer to join our humble comms team to help build on this new foundation. The ideal candidate for this position is one who trusts and believes in BYP100’s theory of change and is ready to push our storytelling abilities to the next level.
Summary of Role:
The BYP100 Communications Fellow is a contracted position focusing on executing the direction, vision, and strategy of BYP100’s communications by the Digital Strategist and Communications Manager. The fellow will ensure that our presence on multiple platforms is sustained and consistent. They will play a major role in building out an archival infrastructure for the organization to document our work as well as assisting in streamlining the day to day comms demands needed to make internal communications more robust. The role requires consistent collaboration with the national communications team to innovate and develop nuanced strategies for digital base building.
- Coordinate local chapter spokespersons trainings with Communications Manager
- Media monitoring and reporting
- Curating the oral history collection of BYP100
- Collaboratively develop a digital communications campaign
- Frequent contact with local communications chairs to ensure support and streamline comms team efficiency
- Managing the day to day social media engagement
- Update the action network registry to accurately represent chapter outreach and engagement
- Assisting in moving pieces of communications strategy during National Convening
- Coordinate content gathering for new BYP100 website
- Lived experience and deep investment in Black digital communications and social media (Engaging Black people on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, etc.)
- Analysis/politics around anti-Blackness
- Previous work in communications in movement spaces
- Must be social media savvy – able to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,and Snapchat very well
- WordPress proficiency
- Social media content creation
- Experience with a CRM
- Understanding around traditional strategic communications as well as digital strategy
- Research ability
- Must be very very cool, like super cool.
- Must be able to create culturally relevant social media content for the Black Community.
The pay is $16.25/hr for 20 hours/week. They’ll receive a flat rate for the overtime worked during the national convening in early June (travel required).
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The deadline for applying is May 1, 2017. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis so try to get your application in as soon as possible.
BYP100 is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage women, femme, LGBTQ and non-college degree holders to apply. BYP100 prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.